Related Posts with Thumbnails

Tasted the thunder of hunger? Have u?

>> Friday, April 29, 2011


When a friend declared one evening over the phone, that she loves Anna Hazare for what he’s doing, I heard that name for the first time. Little did I know I was to hear it over a thousand times that week? I felt foolish for my ignorance of Current affairs and took the help of google to find out a little about the man who was obviously making headlines. What I learnt was, he’s 70+, a Padma Bhushan awardee, who has served the Indian Army, a role model for many, and now has the Government on its toes as he’s decided to fast unto death on the Lokpal issue. Impressive, me thinks.

Fasting almost always has an impact. A strong one. And I’m against it. Unless it can move the Government to work for the nation.

The easiest way to win a battle, even at homes, not necessarily in politics, is to fast.
Heard of the mother giving in to the child’s demands (from a new bag to a new bike) because he/she gave up food? Little did she know that the devil would’ve probably sneaked in a burger to eat while she worried herself sick over her child’s empty stomach and ate nothing herself.

Heard of the husband, who turned over on his side of the bed, because he’s sleepless with guilt that his rude remark has made his lovely, otherwise patient wife, skip her dinner tonight?

Heard of the girl, who’s equally worried about the broken door (that the boyfriend broke on his way out) and the untouched meal on the table, as a result of the argument that they shared(and she obviously lost)?

These are everyday stories. Millions of them like this. We all become Anna Hazares to get what we want. I don’t want to be mistaken for an anti-Indian (non patriotic) lunatic here. I am totally 100% percent with the Good Samaritan Anna Hazare. It is the daily ‘unto-death-or -till-I-get-what-I-want’ fasts that we all either perform or are forced to be audience for, that I’m uncomfortable with.

I was raised to finish what was on my plate. Once it’s on my plate, it needs to go in my stomach, is what I learnt. I was taught to serve ourselves with only what was needed. I was taught to help my mom finish the last grain of rice, so we don’t throw it in the bin. I once disagreed with a friend who refused to buy my explanation, and said, ‘you are not a dustbin. You don’t have to finish it’.
My funda remains the same till date, ‘if you don’t want to eat it, don’t stuff your plate with it’.

Sometimes, when I’m upset, or to win a fight, I meanly say, “I don’t want to eat”. But never have I skipped a meal for something as silly as this. I always finish my meal. People closest to me, are brave enough to say that I don’t skip a meal, because , they know my love for food and justify that I “live to eat”. Others don’t dare to say it to my face. ‘Thou shall not say that or thou might be just punched in the face’ warning has worked.

Well, needless to say that I burnt a support candle for Mr.Hazare here in Goa. But all you small time blackmailers, change your ways. You are lucky to be getting enough to eat. And luckier to have people who care if you eat or well, don’t.

Bon appétit. Oh! And by the way, you are welcome to join me for breakfast/lunch/dinner at my cooking blog.


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP  

Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogs